To celebrate the Springwater Festival in May and World Refill Day on the 16th June 2022, we have devised a fun and informative smartphone quest. Complete the quest by July 31st for a chance to win a prize!
Will you accept the quest mission and help the two visitors get back to their ‘ship’, keeping them supplied with local knowledge, a sprinkling of history, fresh water and absolutely no single-use plastic?
Read on if you are willing.
The quest starts at Eastbourne station and ends at the Wish Tower.
Along the way the unusual visitors will reveal some of the sights, people and events they have discovered from Eastbourne’s quirky history. You should allow at least one hour to walk – or longer, if you want to stop and look at any of the sights, or cafes, of Eastbourne. The walk is either 2 or 2.6km long. (There is an optional extra stage). The route has been chosen to be suitable for wheelchairs, pushchairs and children’s scooters.
To complete the Quest you need a smart phone with a good battery life.
You will also need to install two free apps, the Refill App and ActionBound.
Before you start the quest
To save time and mobile data, you can do the following before you leave home (while you still have access to Wi-Fi):
- Install the Refill app on your mobile phone/tablet.
- Install the ActionBound app on your mobile phone/tablet.
- You can find both Apps on Google Play, or the Apple App Store.
- When you have installed the ActionBound app, open it and either search for the Refill Quest, or scan the Refill Quest QR code below:
- Watch the short video for tips on using the Refill app – see below.
Tips for completing the quest
- Download the Refill Quest in advance (see above). This means that even when your data signal is weak, you can still follow the maps and instructions.
- Make sure you have plenty of battery left on your mobile device.
- While you are on the quest, look for quiet shady areas to read, or listen to, instructions on your mobile device. Headphones can help.
- You don’t have to complete the trail in one go. You can ‘pause’ and return later.
- Don’t forget to allow time to get back from the Wish Tower after you have finished the Quest.
- Bring your refillable water bottle with you.
- Try using the Refill app before you leave – watch the video below for tips.
Plastic Free Eastbourne and the Refill Campaign
Eastbourne has over 70 free water Refill stations. Find out more about Eastbourne’s Refill Campaign on Plastic Free Eastbourne’s website.